With simply paper and creativity anyone can create art


Monday, September 27, 2010

Sweet Rose Tutorial

I adore the look of all the cabbage roses people make but I find them too bulky for a scrapbook album and they get easily crushed... so I decided to take inspiration from the Prima tea roses and create my own with an extra layer (and for about a tenth of the price, LOL!) that are a little more durable in an album.


You will need 3 two-inch punched flowers and 4 one-inch flowers. Any flower punch or die with separated petals will do. I used my retro flower punches (by EK Success). Ink for the edges, water to mist, glue, a foam mouse pad, three sizes of pen thickness with rounded ends (or paintbrushes) and glitter glue to polish off (if desired). If you want your flowers to look exactly like the Prima tea roses, then only use two large flowers. I like a more ruffled look.


Step 1: Ink all your flower edges, lightly water mist (or glimmer mist) them all and press the centers into the foam mat with a rounded pen end. Here is a close-up of a few. If you over wet them, they will rip in the next step.

Step 2: Cup the large ones around the end of your sharpie thickness item and roll against the side. Use the smallest sized pen for the smaller flowers. They should all look like this and now you let them dry 100% before moving on.

Step 3: Once all dry, roll a small flower between your thumb and index to create the bud center. Slightly open the 3 larger flowers and one small one. Glue the small ones into each other (opened one at the bottom) and set aside. Do the same with the large ones and remember to off-set the petals. Let glue dry completely before moving on.

Step 4: Once dry, gently fold back the petals of the large flower and then press the large glued flower into the mat with the mid sized pen to ensure the "cup" shape.

Step 5: Glue the center flower and arrange petals if necessary. Also, the center can be used as a flower on its own like you would a baby Prima rose (just add a green star punch to the bottom for the leaves). You can add another punched flower layer to the bottom for more fullness too.

Step 6: Once the glue dries, pinch each large petal to give it a realistic look. Some people may just prefer the perfect look above though.

Step 7: This part is optional depending on your project style... add glitter glue to the large petal edges for a dewey polished look and add leaves to the bottom. I just used a daisy flower punch and inked and pinched the ends. Martha Stewart makes a really nice rose leaf punch too.

That's it, you're done! Here is a close-up of the finished 2-inch diameter rose... the same size as a Prima tea rose!

To prove this works with any punch, here is the flower I just made beside two others I did with my Marvy brand 3 petal pansy punch (3 inch) and my McGill heart clover punch (2.5 inch). I used a pre-made rose for the pink center and my simple flower tutorial for the white center to better match the flower styles. Experiment and have fun with any die or punch you have. I bet some of you with the Tim Holtz tattered flower dies will end up with flowers looking like the new Prima sugarplum roses. And if you used 8-petal daisy punches/dies, you'd get a peony style flower.

Thanks for stopping by and remember to leave some love if you like these. Also, if you happen to give these a go, I would love to see your results. All I ask is that when possible you give credit where due to any artist's tutorial because they do take a bit of effort to do. Thank you.

31 comments:

Lesley Langdon said...

These are SO pretty!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Sandi Smith said...

Another gorgeous creation Vicky....love it!

Natasha said...

Love these! Will have to try it!

Dara Lynn said...

Gorgeous!!!! Great tutorial on these flowers ....I can't pick a favorite!

LG said...

I should definitely try this. It's so pretty

Karen Wilson said...

WOW! LOVE THIS ONE! Will try it when I sit down and scrap this weekend! Love it! TFS.

Leah l'Orange said...

Vicky, seriously, these are gorgeous. i LOVE visiting your blog! i just have to get around to trying everything, because your step-by-step photo tutes are the best!

Bonnie aka Cinnabon said...

these are gorgeous, Vicky! You always come up with cool flower tutorials! love it!

hobivakti said...

Harika olmuş. :)

Elinize sağlık,

Paylaşımınız için teşekkürler.

Katerina said...

Amazing! Love it!!! TFS!!!

Stephanie said...

These are really beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

cnelson said...

GORGEOUS!! Fantabulous tutorial!! Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!! Thanks so much for sharing your techniques with us. I'm so excited to get started!

Unknown said...

lovely roses thanks for showing to us.
byebye,Lean.

Luz Maria Bruna said...

This is absolutely fantastic!!!!

Ivana Camdzic said...

This is such a wonderful tutorial!!!! I have been making flowers for a while and never thought to pinch the petals...they look so much better and totally realistic that way!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Vija said...

these are so pretty. TFS

Stay True To God said...

WOW Vicky... what an AWESOME Rose!! Your tutorial was so informative... thank you!! I can't wait to make these!! :) hugs... Tracy

Sarah Bennett said...

Wow- you did a fabulous job on your gorgeous flower! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial with us!

Kathy said...

Absolutely fabulous tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Barbara Loveday said...

Absolutely lovely, shall definitely have to recommend your blog to my gal pals ;)

Kris Berc said...

I hadn't thought of taking the extra step of pinching the petals. That makes such a difference in the overall look of the flower! Thanks for the tip :)

Heather said...

I just want to say thank you for taking the time to put these tutorials together for those of us that can't get the ideas in our head to the paper in our hands. Thanks for helping me do that. I made my first flowers last night thanks to you....

Walkiria Celada. said...

!que maravilla de flor! y que bien explicado, muchas gracias.

Anonymous said...

Your rose is very very beautiful!!!

Lenoria said...

I just found your site from Magpie's corner and I love all your roses! Thank you for the wonderful tutorials. I have tried some of Penny Duncan's roses and I look forward to trying your tutorials.

Unknown said...

Awsome roses!! these are soooooo pretty !! :) nice blog...

Cards By Jan said...

Wow...Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial...for making the most beautiful roses!!

Unknown said...

M just blown away by the simple ways n techniques u have used..thanks a ton for sharing these with us

texascraft said...

Thank you so much for your tutorials I know might be able to make nice flowers. I just have come across your blogt.
Thanks Janet

Kathie said...

Vicky, love your work! I'm trying to figure out the things you are using. I found the paper site. Tell me what the ink is you use for the edges. Where do you get the punches. I live in Montana and we half a Michaels and JoAnns. Where is a good sourse to order on-line from?